The primary goal of occupational therapy is to enable children and adolescents to participate in the activities of everyday life. Occupational therapists can work with children of all ages and their families, to help enhance skills necessary for their everyday life including playing, getting dressed or handwriting. Occupational therapy may also address social, psychological and environmental factors impacting on the child’s performance. This may include making changes to the child’s environment such as their school or home to help the child be more independent.
Our experienced paediatric occupational therapists can provide services to preschool and school aged children in the following areas:
- Fine Motor Skills
- Tool Use (involves utilising objects within the hand such as cutlery, scissors or pencils)
- Gross Motor Skills
- Self-Care Skills (dressing, toileting and grooming)
- Feeding Skills (including fussy eaters and children with food aversions)
- Sensory Processing (self-regulation and behaviour)
- Cognitive and Perceptual skills (attention, concentration, organisational skills, executive functioning and visual perception)
- Play Skills
- Social Skills
- Specialised Equipment Prescription
Dynamic Kids Initial Assessment
An occupational therapy assessment may be useful for a child who is having difficulties with activities of daily living, such as school participation, self-care skills, play skills or leisure activities. Our occupational therapists use a range of both standardised and non-standardised assessments to assess your child.
The initial assessment may occur at our office, school, kindergarten, day care or home. This helps us get to know the child and family and determine what it important to them. It also creates a baseline so we know where to start.
Following the initial assessment a brief summary report will be written, outlining functional difficulties your child is experiencing with recommended occupational therapy goals.
Dynamic Kids Home Assessment and Intervention
Home visits can be conducted to assess and observe your child in their natural environment performing daily activities that they may be having difficulty with e.g., eating, dressing, grooming, toileting, following daily routines or self-regulation of behaviour.
Following the home visit a treatment plan can be developed to promote improved independence and functional skill development for your child. We will provide strategies, advice and intervention programs where appropriate to help your child participate in their daily occupations at home.
Preschool/School Assessment and Intervention
We offer an ‘on the road’ therapy approach which means we can come to your preschool, day care or school facility. This is often an effective therapy approach as it allows us to assess and observe your child within their natural classroom or playground setting. It also allows us to observe your child’s ability to successfully interact and/or participate within a group environment.
Collaboration, liaison and joint goal setting between therapists, parents and education staff allows a holistic approach to occupational therapy intervention. It allows for a direct relationship to be developed between the therapist and teacher.
Occupational therapy intervention sessions are often carried out within the school setting.
Dynamic Kids Group Intervention Sessions
Therapy provided in a group environment allows children the opportunity to develop their skills together in a stimulating social environment.
We currently offer a range of group programs including:
- Handwriting group for school aged children
- Learn to Play Group Program- focussing on the development of imaginative play and social skills in preschool aged children
- School Readiness Group- focussing on the consolidation of skills required when commencing school including fine motor skills, self-care skills, listening and following instructions and on-task classroom behaviour
Social skills groups
Dynamic Kids Training and Education
Dynamic Kids runs a number of training and education packages for parents, teachers and professionals. The training packages can be customised to suit your organisations need or school, preschool or parent group settings.
Training and Education can be provided on the following topics:
- How Does Your Engine Run? The Alert Program for Self-Regulation
- Sensory Processing in the Classroom
- School Readiness Skills
- Handwriting Development
- Fine Motor and Pre-Writing Skill Development
- The Development of Imaginative Play Skills
- Other topics on request